Oct 29, 2008

Split-pea Soup, Hold the Ham

I'm not a huge fan of split-pea soup. Even when I ate meat, it wasn't really my thing. But, my wife really enjoys it, so I decided to make it for her. The only rub being we can't use ham.

I started out by browning a whole onion down to nothing, then adding in the split-peas and the water necessary to cook them. After this had laboriously cooked down, I added some Field Roast (a true gift to vegetarians). Cubing the "meat" added just the right amount of taste and texture to the mix. To replace the smokiness that bacon or ham would have added, we used the incredibly useful "Liquid Smoke" that you can pick up at places like Williams Sonoma.

Hard to make look pretty in a picture, but it was a nice hearty soup on a cold night.

2 comments:

  1. I'm definitely a fan of vegetarian split pea soup. I don't eat ham either but I love the flavor of split pea! Recipe please?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a huge fan of split peas in general to be honest, but this looks great. Really nice photo too I have to say.

    Out of interest, have you made Pappa Pomodoro yet? It is my favorite soup right now. A pretty simple rustic tomato soup that is thickened with bread. The great thing is that you can make it with REALLY good canned Tuscan tomatoes (PCC has the Bionature brand which is decent).

    ReplyDelete