This is a really nice, warm dish that's sweet but also rich in flavor. It also takes about ten minutes to cook, so it's a good deal for how much time you'll spend on it. Serves 4.
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 2 tbspn soy sauce
- 2 tspn sesame oil
- 1/2 cup shaoxing rice wine
- 1/2 cup mirin
- 2 star anise (whole)
- 1 tbpsn fresh giner, finely sliced
- 12 fresh shiitake mushrooms (cut down if large)
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 10.5 oz tofu
- 2 spring onions, finely slice on a bias (reserve as garnish)
- white rice
Add all ingredients and 1/2 cup water to a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer for 10 minutes.
Cube the tofu into 1/2 inch cubes and add divide amongst the serving bowls. Add the broth and vegetables to each dish. Garnish with spring onions.
From: Marie Claire Seasonal Kitchen by Michele Cranston