Dec 16, 2008

These DVDs are seriously...


There were three shows the formed the corners of my food interest pyramid.

Iron Chef started it off by supplying the intrigue: strange and foreign ingredients transformed into dishes with equally strange and foreign techniques, all with flash and running commentary!

The second was Jamie Oliver, supplying the enthusiasm. Though my interest in his shows and books has waned over time (more vegetables, please!), Oliver was excited for good food and was excited to infect other people with that same notion. He made cooking something you could learn and approach, instead of something you could either do or not do.

The final show was Good Eats, starring Alton Brown. Good Eats supplied the know-how: techniques, terms, tools, and a healthy tongue-in-cheek geek's view of food that resonated with me. I have a kosher salt always available at the ready in my hand caddy, and know the value of a "multitasker" tool in the kitchen.

I hadn't seen Good Eats for years and had kept my eye on the series DVDs, but they were hundreds of dollars and were just too much to justify. But two weeks ago I found (I believe) the entire series on DVD - new - and under $100. What I didn't realize is that it came on 36 DVDs, each with three episodes on each. I'm now in need of a bookshelf devoted solely to Alton, as well as a year or two off of work to watch them all.

Still - gotta love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment