Jun 16, 2009

Early Summer Pasta



After a long winter with little more than cabbage and potatoes, the farmers' markets have started to come back to life. Strawberries and the first crops of cherries are rolling in, along with early summer crops. Lots of snap peas and young plants. We gathered up a good load of ingredients and brought it home to make a simple pasta.

My wife had made the pasta earlier in the day (we've dusted off the pasta roller and have been making ravioli) so I just needed to make the base.

I used asparagus, garlic tops (cut into three inch sections like green beans), beet tops, snap peas, brocolli, and young red onions. I started by sauteeing the onion and garlic tops, then throwing in everything else (save the beet tops). Once they were getting close to done I added the roughly chopped beet tops, a splash of water for moisture, and covered it all up. I let that braise for about five to ten minutes until the beet tops had nicely cooked to a velvety and rich texture. Top the pasta and then use the tops of the young onions for garnish!


No comments:

Post a Comment